Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hi!

I come from a family where Hamburger Helper and Bisquick biscuits constitute a 'homemade' dinner. One where chili consists of a can of chili mix, some ground beef, and a can of pork 'n beans. One where steak is harder to chew than rubber, vegetables are not just optional - they're rare, and Chinese food is outlawed simply because "you won't like it."
As an adult, I've done my best to push my limits when it comes to food, and I like to think that I've done a good job. There's still things I don't like, but I know that through trying them, not just because they sounded gross (though there are a few things that, just the thought of them makes me sick.. but they're few and far between.)
Unfortunately, I have a 6-year-old who doesn't share these viewpoints, partly due to the fact that my mother lives with us - and is even pickier than most children. She's grown up on boxed mac & cheese, frozen nuggets, and canned ravioli partly due to my mother's shopping habits (she does most of the grocery buying), and partly because I'm always so busy.
This blog is part of my attempt to change this.
The plan is simple. Start with cooking 1-2 nights a week, and involving my daughter, who we'll call "Chickie." Do as much as we can with fresh, whole ingredients (though I make no guarantees that we won't used canned cream of chicken soup or something along that line) and simple recipes that she can help with. And, to encourage my 'ham' of a daughter to learn how to cook AND to try new things... Blog about our attempts - with pictures.
So, wish me luck... With this family, I'm going to need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment